Turns out I’ve still been pretty sick, damn cough just wouldn’t go away. I am still working, albeit slowly — this is a bit of a preview, that just needs some backgrounds and a bit of shading/lighting, then it’ll be ready to go. Hopefully will be up tomorrow night at the latest. Until then. [:
Well, my vacation is pretty much over and school is set to start up again after next week. Overall, the summer break was nice and relaxing — maybe a bit too much, since I didn’t really get to finish any of my projects. -__-;
I have completed the thumbnailing for The Frog Prince and plan to start making the story pages this upcoming week. Also, the next story (Cat and Mouse in Partnership) has been written up and is ready for thumbnailing.
Additionally, I have completed the “cover” art of The Frog Prince and recorded a process video for that (sketch to finished render), which will be posted once I actually start posting up the comic. I have a few changes I want to make, mostly just color adjustments as well as text overlay for the chapter title and byline. For now, here is a WIP image composed of all the steps of the process — 3 sketches, ink, background, color and lighting, and a bit of the foreground leaves (Transparency levels are adjusted to show aspects of each step). Considering I usually don’t do location art, I really like how this background came out with the fountain stones and grass texture.
Since this rendering took just under 3 hours of actual work time, with the pages planned to have much less detail, I expect to have my buffer done pretty quick, or at least the line art aspects with a quick slap of color added just before posting. Here’s hoping that I can stay on task this week! 😀
So I’m THIS close to saying “screw it” and just use the font as it currently is, making changes to it later so I can start working on the second font I want done. Kerning for DAYS. x.x (Most of the English letter and symbol spacing is already done, I just need to finish the lowercase-to-lowercase spacing to make it usable for English.)
So while I am working on the fonts, I have started the sketching/thumbnailing process for the first story:
Generally, thumbnailing is the process of setting up the basic layout of the image on a smaller scale, before working on an image at a large scale. In the case of comics, it also is getting the layout of the panels as well as individual compositions. I do thumbnailing on printer paper cut in half, or scratch sheets pads of about a quarter-size. By doing this at a smaller size, it forces me to work on composition rather than detail. Additionally, I can layout all the pages to look at them all at once to make sure that they are relatively unique and that page layouts are not constantly being repeated within a certain range. Once I start doing more detailed work on the computer, poses will be refined to be clearer or more dynamic (where it makes sense), panel shapes will change, and some panels will even be shuffled around, added, or removed.
This process also allows me to make further notes for research, detail editing, and overall composition. For example, on the second page in the second image, I have notes for moving/resizing the frogs in the first panel, the sky shot to be day fading into night, and lighting notes further down the page. I also have my [initial] dialogue and balloons laid out, which are subject to change for clarity, brevity, or ease of reading. There are research notes, such as where I need to create/find reference images (the very first page, for the lime/linden tree as well as the pose), and what additional references I should find to complete rendering (dress, setting objects, etc.).
I will say, though thumbnailing is tedious in its own way, it’s also probably my favorite part of the process. It’s where the story gets its first breath of life, and the characters are really humanized for the first time, rather than just being descriptions on paper or notes on sketches. Their personalities come through in both actions and interactions, besides their individual appearances. It’s also the first time a world is explored, as far as where things are and the spaces the characters live within–another opportunity to show the personality (and even backgrounds) of the characters. While the reader gets to (usually) only experience the final rendering of these worlds, as an author/artist, I get to watch them grow and develop from the initial concept to the well-known.
Just a few more things to do, but the teaser image is coming along nicely. Now to get the comic done, too. x.x
I’m planning on doing a short project as part of a research paper I’m writing — it’s a non-standard research topic, so I think it can work. Working on concept stuff currently, but I hope to have a short comic by the end of this week. And who knows? I might end up doing all the stories in the book, but I’ll need to settle on other permanent cast members. For now, I leave you with this. [:
Working on a tattoo design for a family member, this is the original pencil sketch that I’m working on cleaning up and finalizing.
When I’m done with this tattoo design, I’ll be back to working on the Gauntlet. Currently, I have the overall story and one of the two main arcs outlined, and 24/100 contestant characters at least sketched for story development. I have a list of basic descriptions for the contestants, but I need to finalize their design aesthetic, as well as names and abilities. With the story, I’ll outline the other arc and make a master outline/skeleton script of the order of events and create a reference guide for important things that will come up. [/vagueness] I’ll fill in the general details when I get to the thumbnailing stage.